About Me

My photo
I'm a late bloomer in the sewing world hoping to become an expert seamstress! I love applique's, monogramms and everything you can put them on!!

Sunday, December 25, 2011

First things first

THE MACHINE:
Brother SE 400

Before I received this precious child, I really did some research on sewing machines... Basically, I googled "best sewing and embroidery machines" and went with the first result :)  I was linked to amazon and read a few reviews on machines.  This particular machine was one of the highest rated.  Here are my tips for purchasing a sewing machine:
1.  Decide what it is you want to do.  Meaning, do you want to straight sew, ie. make clothes, totes, or repair, OR do you want to applique, embroider, or monogram?  (Um, have to admit I didn't know the difference between embroidering and monogramming... If you're like me: monogramming is just the three letters/initials.  Otherwise, when you stitch words, names, pictures, etc. onto something it's called embroidery.)
2.  Really think about your big picture.  What's your goal?  For fun? Or would you like to produce a good that will bring some extra cash in?  This will influence the type of machine you purchase.
3.  Look into purchasing a machine from an actual store.  Forgo the cyber world and actually walk into a store like Joanns or your local sewing shop.  Most of these places will sell you a machine and include FREE instructional classes.  <== Huge deal.  In hindsight, I wish I would have gone this route. 
4.  Unless you've had experience sewing in the past, I would not recommend skipping straight for the $1000 machine with all the bells and whistles. (unless it comes with a class :) )
5. When you get your machine, read the manual.  Like I've said, I'm a complete novice.  2 months ago I couldn't even tell you what the words bobbin or presser foot meant.  I tried to hand thread the needle when my machine had an automatic threader, and it took me until last week to realize I could even adjust the tread tension and the reason you'd ever want to do that.   READ THE MANUAL :)
6.  Read sewing blogs and reviews from people actually using it in the same capacity you're hoping to use it for.  Learn from someone else's mistakes!

Lastly, here's a great review for the machine I have. 
Regrets:  Wish I would have thought more about hoop size and software.

No comments:

Post a Comment